Ingredients (serves 2)
- Daab Or Tender Coconut – 1
- Jumbo Prawns – 5/6
- Onion Paste – 3 to 4 tablespoon
- Ginger & garlic paste – 1 tablespoon
- Turmeric – 1/2 teaspoon
- Red Chili powder – as per taste
- Half of the soft flesh which is called malai or shansh of the Daab
- Coconut water of the Daab
- Panch Foron or Bengali five spices 1 teaspoon(optional)
- Poppy seed paste – 1 tablespoon
- Mustard paste – 1 tablespoon
- Melon seed or char magaj paste – 1 tablespoon
- Green chili – 4/5
- Salt and sugar as per taste
- Mustard oil – 2 tablespoons
- Atta dough to seal the hole of the “Daab”
Steps to Prepare
Take the “Daab” and cut the head or make a large hole on the top of the Daab but do it carefully. Do not throw the head away. (You need it to seat the “Daab”)Take the coconut water and keep aside. Now scoop half of the soft flesh and grind them with little coconut water to make a fine paste.
Now clean the prawns and marinate them with little salt and turmeric. Take a large bowl and add onion, ginger, garlic, turmeric, red chili, salt, sugar, poppy seed paste, mustard paste, melon seed paste, coconut paste and half of the coconut water.( Have yourself the rest of the coconut water or store for further use)
Add marinated prawns and some green chilies into the spice mixture.
Now take a small pan and heat mustard oil. When it starts smoking add the panch foron into it and fry for few seconds and add it to the prawns mixture. Now pour the mixture inside the “Daab”(Coconut Shell) and place the head on the hole and seal it with atta dough.
You can steam it in 2 ways.
If you are using oven then preheat the oven on 420F and bake it for 45-50 minutes. After 50 minutes off the oven but do not take the “Daab” out of the oven. Let it be there for another 10 -15 minutes and then take it out. Cut the seal with a knife and serve “Daab Chingri” straight from the “Daab”.
If you do not have oven then you can use pressure cooker to cook it. Put the Coconut inside a pressure cooker and pour about 3 cups water in pressure cooker… water level should be halfway of the coconut. Close the lid and wait until 3 whistle in medium heat. Let the vapor get released completely. And cautiously take it out.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/7912451