Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
What you need
- 4 4-ounce boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 8 teaspoons sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups coarsely shredded Parmesan cheese (don’t use canned grated cheese)
- 1/3 cup gluten-free bread crumbs
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1/2 small green pepper
- 4 plum Roma tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- Fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- On a cutting board and using the meat mallet, pound the thicker portion of each chicken breast to make the thickness of the pieces uniform.
- Pour the sherry into a shallow bowl.
- Mix 1/4 teaspoon pepper, the cheese, and bread crumbs together on a sheet of wax paper.
- Dip each chicken breast in the sherry, moistening both sides.
- Press the breasts firmly into the cheese mixture, covering both sides of each breast. Set aside while you prepare the salsa.
- Use a meat mallet to help the cheese adhere to the meat.
- Chop the onion, green pepper, and tomatoes.
- Mince the garlic and parsley.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, sauté the onion, green pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon garlic in 1 tablespoon of olive oil, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes, 2 tablespoons parsley, the Italian seasoning, salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Continue cooking until the mixture is heated through.
- Preheat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add 3 tablespoons oil.
- Set the breasts in the skillet and cook 5 to 6 minutes per side, until the cheese is light golden and the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the breasts from the skillet and set them on paper towels to drain the excess oil.
- Place the chicken breasts on a serving platter and spoon the tomato salsa over the chicken breasts.