Havarti Macaroni and Cheese
Mac and cheese recipes are so wonderful because they’re easy to adapt. You can use nearly any type of cheese — or a blend — from havarti to cheddar, gouda and mozzarella. You can try this recipe with regular havarti cheese but the jalapeno adds a grown-up flavor to a meal that’s usually a favorite for kids.
- 3 cup pasta, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 1-1/2 cup milk
- 6 ounces shredded mild cheddar
- 4 ounces shredded jalapeno havarti
- 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, prepare a baking dish with cooking spray or butter.
- In a double boiler over gently simmering water, melt the two tablespoons of butter. Stir in flour, milk, salt and pepper. Stirring constantly, cook until sauce slightly thickens. Add both cheeses and continue cooking until melted.
- Drain pasta and layer in baking dish. Pour the cheese sauce over the pasta and stir gently.
- Melt remaining butter and mix with breadcrumbs. Spoon over pasta in dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly.