Seasoned Roasted Garbanzo Beans
Try this tasty snack of roasted and seasoned garbanzo beans in place of cracker or chips when you get a salty craving. High in protein and fiber to fill you up and enough carbohydrates to satisfy your carb craving.
- 15 ounce can of Garbanzo beans (also known as chickpeas), rinsed and dried
- 1 Tbsp light olive oil (light vegetable oil can be substituted)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1½-3 tsp seasoning mix of choice
1. Rinse and drain garbanzo beans, and dab dry.
* It is very important that they are dry, or they will go soggy rather than crunchy when baked.
2. Place in a bowl.
3. Drizzle oil and sea salt over and mix well.
4. Add seasoning and mix well.
5. Spread on a cookie sheet.
6. Bake at 400 degrees F for 30 minutes
**Stir during baking to make sure beans cook evenly.
For spicy Mexican flavoring, use your favorite taco seasoning.
For an Italian flavor, mix 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp dried basil, ¼ tsp oregano and add to garbanzo beans.
For BBQ flavor mix 2 tsp paprika, ¼ tsp brown sugar, ¼ tsp onion powder.
For a sour and salty treat, soak rinsed garbanzo beans in white vinegar for 30 minutes. Drain completely and pat dry. Leave out on a dry paper towel for 30 minutes to make sure beans are completely dry. When dry, mix with oil and salt and roast.
Create your own favorite flavor by experimenting.
**Remember that adding sugar will increase the carbohydrates and calories.
- Nutritional Information
Makes 4 servings
- Calories: 134 (add 4 calories per tsp of sugar you add to the recipe. 16 calories/tsp of sugar)
- Total Fat: 4.3 grams
- Saturated: 0.5grams
- Sodium: 258 mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 16.9 grams
- FIBER: 4.2 grams
- Protein: 5.6 grams
- Calcium: 5% RDA
- Iron: 8% RDA